Peter J. Goss focuses his national practice on pharmaceutical and medical device product liability litigation and toxic torts. He has represented major pharmaceutical, medical technology, and chemical firms in hundreds of cases.
Mr. Goss, who has won several published Daubert decisions, often serves as “science counsel” in life sciences litigation. He collaborates with leading experts to present complex medical and scientific evidence, both in dispositive motions and at trial. He is a frequent commentator on scientific evidence and legal developments of interest to FDA-regulated industries.
Mr. Goss is devoted to pro bono and community service. He has served on the Board of Directors of Volunteer Lawyers Network, a Minneapolis-based civil legal services organization since 2008, and served as Board Chair for the 2011-12 term.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (J.D., 1996), Senior Notes and Comments Editor, California Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley (M.A., 1995)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A., 1991), with highest distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Litigation Star
- Best Lawyers in America© Lawyer of the Year – Product Liability Litigation Defense (Since 2017)
- Best Lawyers in America© - Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions, Product Liability Litigation Defense
- America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators®
- Super Lawyers®
- Named a “Life Sciences Star” by LMG Life Sciences
- Listed in “Who’s Who Legal”
- Law 360 Product Liability Editorial Board
- Excellence in Liability Litigation Law Services – USA, CorporateLiveWire
- Named a “Leading lawyer for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense” by The Legal 500
- John C. Benson Award for Pro Bono Service
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement (honoring his article: Clearing Away the Junk: Court-Appointed Experts, Scientifically Marginal Evidence, and the Silicone Gel Breast Implant Litigation, 56 Food & Drug L.J. 227 (2001))
- Cyber security and Medical Devices(MSBA Food Drug & Device Section, 2016).
- A Checklist Approach to Expert Witnesses(MN CLE, 2015).
- Obesity Litigation: What's Next?, International Foodservice Manufacturers Association, Presidents Conference, Phoenix (2009).
- With Friends Like These: The Changing Role of Medical Journals in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation, American Conference Institute, Drug & Device Litigation Conference, New York (2006).
- Scientific Evidence in Pesticide Litigation, Pesticide Litigation Manual (2011).
- Scientific Evidence in the 8th Circuit, Scientific Evidence Review (2008).
- The Last Word on Drug Preemption?, Product Liability Law 360 (July 2008).
- FDA's New Guidance For Distributing Articles About Off-Label Uses: Déjà Vu All Over Again?, Trends (May 2008).
- Riegel v. Medtronic: A Win for Medical Technology, Product Liability Law 360 (March 2008).
- Beyond the "Yuck Factor": Product Liability Implications of Medical Device Reprocessing, Washington Legal Foundation Working Paper Series (2006).
- Cardiac Surgery Wrongful Death Case. Defended a medical equipment manufacturer whose product was blamed for the death of an infant weeks after surgery to repair a congenital heart defect. The plaintiffs settled the week before trial was to begin in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Pharmaceutical Mass Tort. Client's gastrointestinal medication was withdrawn from the market due to a very small statistical increase in cardiovascular risk. Deposed the plaintiffs' lead expert and drafted a Daubert motion to exclude his testimony. Most of the litigation, comprising more than 100 cases, settled a week after the brief was filed.
- Toxic Exposure “Cluster”. Neighbors of a municipal yard-waste compost facility claimed their immune disorders were caused by microbes and mold spores emanating from the site. After a three-day science hearing, the court excluded the test results, leaving plaintiffs no means of connecting their alleged injuries to the compost site. At trial, the jury found no causation and awarded zero damages.
MORE ABOUT PETER GOSS
- Peter J. Goss Discusses Arkansas Supreme Court Ruling on FDA Warning Letter
- Peter J. Goss Discusses E-Discovery Challenges Raised by Takeda Sanctions Ruling
- Peter J. Goss Shares Insights on Johnson & Johnson Hip Settlement
- Peter J. Goss Discusses Maine Drug Importation Law in Law360
- Peter J. Goss Named “Life Sciences Star” in 2013 Edition of Legal Media Group’s Guide to Life Sciences Practitioners
- Peter J. Goss Discusses FDA Evidence in Medical Device Product Liability Cases
- Peter J. Goss Discusses How Bankruptcy May Affect Consolidation of Meningitis Claims in Law 360
- Law 360 Quotes Blackwell Burke P.A. Partner Peter J. Goss on Innovator Liability for Generic Drug Injuries