We are Blackwell Burke
A powerful, efficient and diverse trial firm with a national practice and winning record.
Our litigators and trial lawyers are true players in the Fortune 500 legal market. We handle high-stakes complex litigation, class actions, and trials. Our attorneys and firm cases appear in major news outlets such as CNN, The Economist, and Law360. We represent clients in the most challenging litigation, often involving novel legal or scientific issues.
Our firm was founded in 2006 by current chairman Jerry W. Blackwell and prominent Minneapolis trial attorney Martin “Skip” Burke. Mr. Burke passed away in January 2016.
Top honors for our attorneys and firm.
Our firm and attorneys have been honored to receive numerous awards and recognitions, including:
- 3M Supplier of the Year Award for Minority Owned Business
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®
- America's Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators®
- AV Preeminent® Ranking (Martindale-Hubbell)
- AV Preeminent® Ranking – Judicial Edition (Martindale Hubbell)
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Firm of the Year (twice in a row)
- Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List
- Benchmark Litigation Future Stars
- Benchmark Litigation Highly Recommended
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Litigation Stars
- BTI Brand Elite Firm
- BTI Client Service MVP (only one in Minnesota)
- BTI Client Service All-Star
- BTI Legal Mover & Shaker Award
- Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement
- Chambers and Partners Leading Firm
- Counsel to Counsel Award – The National Law Journal
- Distinguished Citizen Award, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
- Equal Justice Award, Minnesota Council on Crime and Justice
- Excellence in Service Award, General Mills Supplier Diversity
- Go-To Law Firm for the Top 500 Companies, Corporate Counsel Magazine
- Hennepin County Bar Association Employer Diversity Award
- Leading Lawyer for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, The Legal 500
- Life Sciences Star, LMG Life Sciences
- Minnesota Attorney of the Year
- Minnesota Lawyer Diversity & Inclusion Award
- Minnesota Lawyer Up & Coming Attorney
- Minnesota Minority Business Owner of the Year
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®- Rising Star
- National Bar Association Commercial Section Cora T. Walker Award
- Outstanding Black Business of the Year (MN Black Chamber of Commerce)
- U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers® in America
- U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms in America
These recognitions are rare and typically awarded to attorneys at large, majority-owned law firms.
We represent major corporations nationwide. We currently or have recently served as national counsel, national coordinating counsel, national trial counsel, or lead counsel for top companies all across the country.