Deborah E. Lewis is an experienced trial attorney focusing on the defense of corporations and health care providers in product liability actions, including MDL and mass tort actions, in industries including pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, automobile / component part manufacturers, food manufacturers, retailers and physicians.
A former registered nurse, Ms. Lewis’ unique perspectives on product liability and health care matters gains the trust of medical experts and industry leaders as she helps clients develop successful defense strategies. She has been the "go to" counsel for a major medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturer for its product liability lawsuits, defending its matters nationally and internationally. She has obtained summary judgments and numerous dismissals for the medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturer.
Ms. Lewis is a frequent speaker on various legal topics involving health care issues, product liability issues, and litigation strategy. She is a member of the Defense Research Institute, former Co-Chair of the Product Liability Practice Area Committee of NAMWOLF, former Co-Chair of the Medical Device Action Alliance of the Health Industry Council of DFW, and former Secretary of the Health Law Section of the National Bar Association. Ms. Lewis is admitted to practice in Minnesota and Texas.
- University of Texas at Austin (J.D. 1991)
- University of Oklahoma (M.S.)
- University of Tulsa (B.S.N.)
- Minnesota Lawyer Attorney of the Year
- Benchmark Litigation- Minnesota Litigation Star
- AV Distinguished® Ranking (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Products Liability Practice Area Committee CLE: In Re Rising Tide – A Deep Dive into Current Strategies to Protect the Company in the Throws of Multi-District Litigation, NAMWOLF Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA (February 2019)
- Product Liability Risks in a Connected World – Ready or Not Here They Come, NAMWOLF Annual Conference, Houston, TX (September 2016)
- Keeping It Confidential: Advice for Lawyers to Maintain Attorney-Client Privilege When Counseling Corporate Clients on Business Issues, National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, Naples, FL (February 2015)
- Review of the Attorney-Client Privilege As it Applies to Investigations, Dallas (September 2014)
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Off-Label Marketing and Litigation, DRI Drug and Medical Device Seminar, New York City (May 2013)
- Product Liability 2010: Year in Review, ABA Section of Litigation (2011)
- In re Bair HuggerTM MDL Summary Judgment Victory. Won a landmark victory for 3M Company in the federal Bair HuggerTM MDL, securing dismissal of one of the 10 largest MDLs in the country. The court granted summary judgment for 3M in more than 5,000 cases after granting the firm’s motion to exclude the opinions of the plaintiffs’ experts. Measured by the number of cases dismissed, the summary judgment win represents one of the largest-impact defense wins in history. Also won summary judgment and dismissal of all Minnesota state cases.
- Gareis v. 3M Company (Bair Hugger™). Won a complete defense verdict for one of the world's largest global innovation manufacturing companies in the first product liability multidistrict litigation (MDL) bellwether trial in Minnesota Federal District Court. The jury agreed with the defense that the warming device did not cause surgical site infections.
- Dismissal of product liability action against pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal court.
- Summary judgment in favor of medical device manufacturer in Cook County, IL; affirmed on appeal.
- Defense verdict in favor of retailer in product liability action.
- Dismissal of ERISA action.
- Summary judgment in favor of hospitality client in premises action.
- Dismissal of product liability action against retailer in federal court.
- Advice to client on 510k submission to FDA.
- Summary judgment in favor of medical device manufacturer in Alabama state court.
- Dismissal of product liability action filed in Arkansas state court.