Gerardo “Jerry” Alcazar is a seasoned trial lawyer who serves as national litigation and trial counsel for Fortune 500 corporations. His practice includes products liability, commercial litigation, and other complex matters often involving high stakes litigation. Mr. Alcazar’s trial and arbitration experience includes representing product manufacturers, food producers, grocery retailers, maritime transportation companies, and custom homebuilders.
Before joining the Firm, Mr. Alcazar was a litigation and trial attorney at Robins Kaplan L.L.P.
Mr. Alcazar is a member and past president of the Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association and served as the Region XI President for the Hispanic National Bar Association. He also served as a Council Member of the Minnesota State Bar Association. In 2015, Mr. Alcazar completed the ABA Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section Leadership Academy and currently serves on a section task force and is a vice-chair of the product liability and trial techniques committees.
Mr. Alcazar is admitted to practice in the state courts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. He is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts of Minnesota, North Dakota and the Eastern District of Michigan, as well as, the Ninth Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals.
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D. 2006)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (B.S. 2002)
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Litigation Star
- Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hot List
- Minnesota Lawyer Attorney of the Year
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Minnesota Lawyer Up and Coming Attorney
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Minnesota 2010 Riser
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Understanding Diverse Cultures and Working with Diverse Lawyers and Clients Panelist, Minnesota CLE, Minneapolis, Minnesota (May, 2012)
- Property Case Law Developments, Co-Presenter, PLRB Claims Conference & Insurance Services Expo, Orlando, Florida (April, 2012)
- Breaking the Ice with Jerry Alcazar, Minnesota Lawyer Magazine (April 15, 2020)
- Matching Colors And Policies: Insurers May Be On The Hook, Law360 (May 1, 2014)
- Batten Down the Hatches – a Proactive and Creative Approach to Subrogation, Dec. Page- Vol. 4, No. 3 (Summer 2013)
- Preserving the Attorney-Client Privilege and Work-Production Protections Afforded to Communications with Experts: Be Careful of What You Say and to Whom You Say It, The Attorney-Client Privilege in Civil Litigation: Protecting and Defending Confidentiality - Fifth Edition (2012)
- A Roof by Any Other Name, Law360 (March 5, 2012)
- How Fast Can a Fire or Explosion Case Be Extinguished?: Recent Developments Involving NFPA 921: Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations, COVERAGE, Vol. 20. No. 2 (March/April 2010)
- Pyrett v. 3M Company (personal protective equipment). Secured a complete summary judgment decision for 3M in a wrongful death case dismissing claims in both products liability and negligence.
- American Steamship Company v. Hallett Dock Company, et al. Client awarded $4.7 million for repair damages and lost business income, and $2.4 million in prejudgment interest after an 11-day trial by a federal jury in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota in Duluth.
- Product Liability. Secured a favorable confidential settlement on behalf of a baking equipment manufacturer in a matter involving the near amputation of a worker’s hand.
- Product Liability. Achieved confidential recovery on behalf of large grocery retailer in E. coli O157:H7 contamination litigation.
- Construction Defects Arbitration. Represented custom homebuilder in an action to recover money owed under contract and defended against counterclaims. The arbitrator awarded 100 percent of the requested damages.
- Asylum. The U.S. Immigration Court granted Somali client’s application for asylum after a 2-day proceeding.