Mr. Hartman has litigation experience working in products liability, premises liability, commercial litigation, real estate law, and contract disputes. After two years in private practice in Illinois, Mr. Hartman worked most recently as in-house counsel for Fidelity National Title Group. As in-house counsel, Mr. Hartman worked closely with local retained counsel in high-stakes litigation involving contract disputes and real estate law in federal and state courts. During law school Ted Hartman was a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Judge John R. Tunheim in the United States Court for the District of Minnesota.
Mr. Hartman is admitted to practice in Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. 2013), magna cum laude
- Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota (B.A. 2008), magna cum laude
- Minnesota Lawyer Attorney of the Year
- Benchmark Litigation Minnesota Future Star
- CALI Excellence for the Future awards in Employment Law, International Law, and Law and Economics.
- J. Harno Scholar – University of Illinois College of Law
- Dean’s List – University of Illinois College of Law
- In Re: Bair HuggerTM MDL Summary Judgement Victory. Won a landmark victory for 3M Company in the federal Bair HuggerTM Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) securing the dismissal of one of the 10 largest MDLs in the country. The MDL court dismissed the more than 5,000 cases against 3M after it entered summary judgment for 3M and granted the firm’s motion to exclude the opinions of the plaintiffs’ experts. Measured by the number of cases dismissed, the summary judgment win represents one of the largest-impact defense wins in history.
- Gareis v. 3M Company (Bair Hugger™). Won a complete defense verdict for one of the world's largest global innovation manufacturing companies in the first product liability multidistrict litigation (MDL) bellwether trial in Minnesota Federal District Court. The jury agreed with the defense that the warming device did not cause surgical site infections. This case is one of more than 5,000 cases in the Minnesota MDL all involving numerous complex novel scientific legal issues. Also secured dismissal of all Minnesota State cases, prevented Plaintiffs from adding punitive damages, won a significant motion to compel, securing more than $11,000 in fees and costs for client. The verdict was widely covered in the media.
- Max Mason Posthumous Pardon. Collaborated with the Clayton Jackson McGhie Memorial, Inc., the Minnesota Historical Society, members of the Federal Bar, and other supporters, to successfully secure the posthumous pardon of Max Mason, who was wrongfully convicted of raping a white woman in 1920. The posthumous pardon was the first ever in Minnesota history, in commemoration of the 100-year anniversary of Mason’s conviction and the brutal lynching of three Black circus workers in Duluth.
- Pyrett v. 3M Company (personal protective equipment). Secured a complete summary judgment decision for 3M in a wrongful death case dismissing claims in both products liability and negligence.